Thursday, February 10, 2011

Crutches With Costumes

What of women in Egypt?

appears that the mass demonstrations in Egypt, women also took to the streets, asking for more democracy.

I'm not sure if they will get but one thing I'm sure: no true democracy without freedom and equality for women guaranteed by the Constitution .

But because of that, I worry. After the popular uprising, is the right of women to be recognized in the Constitution? Or will it happen as in Iran in 1979 and back up?

I'm hearing here and there that the Muslim Brotherhood is a group of "moderate." "Moderate to whom? Certainly not with women. Ensure that if they come to power, not force women to wear the veil. All good on that promise. But I do not believe anything. Were more evasive when talking about the role of women in society. And history does not speak too much of a very egalitarian say.

Then I have fear. I have fear that the religious and sectarian rebellion recover popular and, as happened in Iran, women's rights back off dramatically with the imposition of Sharia, Islamic law .

Would that happen. I hope it always pessimistic. Hopefully the time and circumstances to show me how wrong I was.

But for now, I have fear.
.

0 comments:

Post a Comment